Sunday, March 22, 2009

Home again . . .

I arrived back in AZ last night from my five day vacation to Michigan. Five days is the perfect amount of time to go home . . . enough time to see the kids and spend some time with them, and my folks. Yet, I don't begin to lose my mind half way through my vacation. While I was home dad and I went shopping for gear for our trip in the fall. I am SO excited for this trip! I think I'm going to attempt a few other camping trips before the Grand Canyon, just to make sure I can hack it!

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking the last few weeks about my next stint of time in Arizona. I love my job and my kids, but the more I have been hiking and getting up into the mountains, the more I despise Phoenix. I would absolutely love to live somewhere else in Arizona, outside of this god-forsaken valley. But with the job market as tight as it is, I think I may be stuck here for a bit. I have really begun to think that Tucson may be the place to go, as it has the attractions of a big city, yet is surrounded by mountains. I know many people don't like it, but every time I am there I truly enjoy it even more. It is the perfect size, it is not as bloody hot in the summer as Phoenix, and it has so many more outdoor opportunities. I think I am going to begin putting my resume out and see what turns up.

The other advantage to working in Tucson would be that the kids are going to be about the same demographics as mine are currently. This piece, above all, is important to me. I do not want to end up in a suburban, middle-class white school, it's just not for me. I know that, as much as I know I am meant to be a teacher. It really comes down to the fact of, where can I make the most difference? Where am I needed the most? Whether that be an inner-city district or low-income rural, I don't think it really matters. All of those children deserve a chance to an amazing education, and if I can aid in that process, then I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment