Monday, July 25, 2011

Welcome to Chitown.

I have been in Chicago for 2 months and have loved every single second. I cannot even begin to describe how incredible it is to be back in the midwest, surrounded by water, trees and a functioning society! This past week has been excruciatingly hot and humid, so I have not done as much "out and about" as I had hoped, but this too shall pass.

Last Thursday was Eric's birthday (and yes, I finally remembered), and I bought him tickets to see Bela Fleck at the Vic Theater on Sheffield. We went out to DMK Burger first (which had incredible burgers and "exotic" fries), and then we met up with our friend Franscisco and someone from his work to go to the show. There are no words to describe this show. Perhaps it wasn't even that great, but it has been SO long since I have heard any live music that I felt as if I was recovering a piece of my soul. Bela has a harmonica/piano player on his new album named Howard Levy. This man definitely stole the show - he outshone every single person on that stage.

I have missed this more than words can say. The food, the music, the culture - so many times Eric and I have been walking down the street and we just look at each other and someone says, "We live in Chicago now." No other words needed. It's like a dream come true.

To add to my dream come true, on Friday we went with Catie and Russ to a jazz club in Uptown called the Green Mill. Apparently this club is one of the oldest jazz clubs in the city and was even a speakeasy at one point. It was amazing, as you walk in the door the bouncer tells you to keep your voices down and be respectful of the music being played. They take this very seriously! Toward the back of the room there was a group of women that were drunk, loud and out of control - after a while, they asked them to leave (to everyone's relief). The leader of the band waits until the audience gets quiet between songs, before announcing the next tune. Not only that, the band was incredible. They were all in their 60's, except for the trumpet player. You know that they have been around the block and seen some amazing things. I think I have found my new favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment