Thursday, June 7, 2012

Survival Mode

Survival mode.  Looking for things to take my mind off the task at hand.  Is that bad of me?

Going up to Grand Traverse Bay is by far my favorite thing in the world to do.  At this very moment I can picture driving down the hill to the house with my windows open.  I can smell the water before I even see it.  As I get closer, the air becomes cooler and the waves become louder.  My car is barely in park before I jump out of it and get as quickly as I can to the front of the deck.  The sun is just beginning to set and I take a deep breath and close my eyes, letting the serenity wash over me.  This is my happy place.  Those moments when I need a scrap of peace, this is exactly where I go.  Interestingly enough, this scene has been repeated over and over throughout my life, and is one of the very few things that never seems to change.  It always gives me a sense of solidarity.  I love knowing that there are somethings in this crazy world that don't change.  I don't have a picture with me, but the one posted above is incredibly close to the image I keep in my mind of our own beach.

Next time I am there, I will be celebrating my nephew's birthday, playing with the kids in the water, knitting on the porch and reading in front of the fire place.  My own little slice of heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment