Saturday, June 23, 2012

8th grade graduation??

Today was a brand new experience.  My kids graduated this morning at Roosevelt University Auditorium Theater down on Michigan Avenue.  It was HUGE.  There were 477 graduates, and each of them brought up to 5 guests.  All in all, probably 1500 people in the audience.  There were caps and gowns and diploma covers and valedictorian speeches; the works.  It was incredibly odd to have all this hoopla for 8th grade, yet strangely exciting.  Michigan doesn't do 8th grade graduation, and I have never seen this much investment into a graduation.  However,most of the students are going to an incredibly good high school and honestly have a chance of making it all the way through high school.  This fact alone probably warrants the show.  They want to make sure the students know how important it is that they are going off to high school and entering the next phase of their lives.  For the first time in five years, I was so proud of, and hopeful for, each and every one of my students.  This year challenged them beyond anything they were accustomed to, and they rose to the challenge. 

It's interesting because in the past I have always worked hard because that's just what I do.  However, it has been very difficult to go above and beyond due to the fact that I knew statistically that only 1/2 of my kids would graduate high school.  That's a little discouraging to someone who sinks their heart and soul into what they do.  Be that person me, or any teacher out there.  Knowing that half of your kids are being set up to fail is frustrating.  This year, on the other hand, the high schools that they are attending have 80% or higher graduation rates, so there is a near guarantee that each one of them will graduate in four years.  This alone makes me want to put in the extra time to give them that extra edge.  I was truly a proud mama today. 

I told my "difficult" boys today that if they brought me their first quarter report cards with all A's that I would take them out for dinner.  We'll see how that goes :-)  Honestly, I'm pretty excited to see how things are different next year now that Jessica and I have figured out what we're doing.  What a great end to a challenging year!

No comments:

Post a Comment