Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Only three weeks left . . .

I am really amazed at how drastically the kids have changed in the last five days. ONE week ago they were working wonderfully in their groups, getting all their work done in a timely manner, being respectful and kind to one another and just being fabulous little seventh graders in general. Then the temperature skyrocketed. Yes, now we are looking at four consistent days of 100 degree weather, and I truly believe that their brains have been fried. Cooked like little sausages on Sunday morning.

Overnight, I have 28 hellions in my room who refuse to listen, can't keep their grubby little paws to themselve, insist that they know better than any of their teachers, and honestly, truly believe that the rules apply to everyone but themselves. Sigh. My favorite time of year. Monday morning we spent 15 minutes practicing walking in a straight line with another colleague's class. That was a sight to behold. . . 60 seventh graders walking silently, in an impeccably straight line around and around and around and around the basketball courts. They earned it - they refused to line up in the morning when the bell rang.

I forgot one more thing. I have been hearing rumors that students in my homeroom class are a)bringing weed to school and b)smoking in the park before/after school. I am surrounded by geniuses.

Consequently, by Tuesday afternoon I had rearranged my room from warm, comforting, friendly tables to cold, heartless pairs (soon to be followed by evil rows, if they can't keep their behavior under control!). The rearrangement was accompanied by a threat of book work for the next three weeks, if needed. This seems to have pacified their need to push the boundaries as far as humanly possible. . .
We shall see how long it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. Hiking is something I'm really looking forward to... You'll have to show us the good trails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you come down and we can go exploring together. We've been really missing our friends lately. We'll have to do some camping as well :-)

    ReplyDelete