Saturday, May 16, 2009

A whole new level...

I've started "training" this week for my trip to the Grand Canyon. Well, honestly, I'm not sure you can exactly call it training, more like walking with my pack on. I must admit though, a 20 - 25 lb pack on your back takes hiking to a whole new level, one that I admit I was not quite ready for.

I've been starting simple: 3 mile walks in the morning, 3 mile hikes at Thunderbird park on the weekends. The things that I am not enjoying, however, is this bloody heat. I am kicking myself for not starting this two months ago when it was actually enjoyable outside. Last weekend it was 93 degrees at 9:30 in the morning. This has apparently been one of the hottest May's on record. Great timing, Forster. Wait until the hottest month so far, to put a full 25 lb pack on and tromp around in the desert. Genius.

Despite my complaints, I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this. How do I hike a 1000 foot incline with this thing attached to me? How do I talk myself into actually continuing, instead of curling up under the first Verde tree I see? How do I keep the sweat that is pouring down my face from blinding me, because my head is looking at the ground, not at the massive hill I have to climb? How do I keep from panicking at the sight of this monstrosity that I must conquer? These are all questions I am finally able to answer, after five months of these hiking feats. I am the first one to admit I have an entire desert to cross before I am physically in the shape I want to be, but I feel that I have made some good strides. Long way to go though. . . very long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment