Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Good-bye Danny. You will be missed.

The day before the final day of school, in other words, 8th grade promotion. My day started a bit sentimental, as I stood watching my first year class coming into school looking like they are 18 or 19, as opposed to 14. Ties, jackets, high heels, dresses, "evening" hair, the works. Initially, I was excited for them to go (honestly, what teacher isn't excited to get rid of the 8th graders the last week of school), but I was assaulted with a feeling of nostalgia as I watched them parade by. Then, my phone rings.

It is a text from a good friend of mine back home, informing me that my jazz professor/piano teacher has died. Mind you, I only found out last night that he had been diagnosed with leukemia and had received an infection after many rounds of chemo. His blood pressure had fallen so low that he was not expected to make it through the night. He made it through the night, but that was all the strength left in him. At 8AM on May 27th, Danny Jordan went home.

My heart is so heavy, as I think back over my music education and realize just how much time I spent with this man and how very much I respected him. All told, I probably took 8 or 9 classes with him, and he was the one that taught me how to sing jazz. I would never have had the courage to attempt such a feat, if it had not been for Danny Jordan. Because of him I spent hours upon hours listening to Ella Fitzgerald, memorizing her songs, repeatedly attempting her solos. Because of him I learned to scat, I learned to get over my fears, I learned to play jazz on the piano (minimal as it may be).

He was an incredible pianist, probably one of the best I've ever heard, and he had perfect pitch like no one I've ever known! He loved to listen to Oscar Peterson and play him in class for examples. He would play Oscar over and over and over, pointing out different chord structure and sounds, then mimicing them on the piano. Danny taught me more music than anyone person had before, or has since. He made me into the musician and person I am today. I just pray that he knew how much he mattered and how much he made a difference in all of our lives.

The world has lost a musician and a teacher, and I have lost a mentor and a role model. Our lives will not be the same without you Danny. May you peacefully rest, for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment